Comments

July 2021 Newsletter
published by MDianeRogers - 5 days ago.

I think so too, Jenny.  I had noticed the 20 Questions article but after seeing it here, I decided to use the questions for my own 'morning journalling' this coming month. Thanks for jogging my brain. I may share a couple of the answers, but one question I won't answer :-)

John HARRIS - Weston Worthy
published by Pat Hase - 5 days ago.

That's helpful - Now that I know the road - I know that Thomas BARRY was the Gate Keeper at the Kewstoke Lodge but am now trying to find any reference to a John HARRIS who might have ben based at the Weston end of the road about 1851.

John HARRIS - Weston Worthy
published by gricharduk - 6 days ago.

I compared a few maps through "Know Your Place" and you can see that no buildings were erected along that road until the early 1900s. However, at the toll gate to the east (in Kewstoke), opposite the New Castle Cafe that is there today, there was a Toll Lodge. This appears on the earlier maps - you can see it on Google Maps here

Payne Family
published by JulieAPayne - 6 days ago.

Many thanks Pat. That information did ring a bell so I looked back at my notes and saw that I had noted a couple baptisms with a William Pain, which show he was baptising his children before John was married so maybe he was an older brother. I'm now searching more parishes to see if the two of them were baptised with the same parents.

John HARRIS - Weston Worthy
published by gricharduk - 6 days ago.

This is also a very interesting account:

Page 5, Weston Mercury - Saturday 09 September 1882

Mr Piggot called the road "the finest thing that had ever been done for Weston"!

John HARRIS - Weston Worthy
published by gricharduk - 6 days ago.

Hi Pat,

Reference the "Channel Road". Based on this report from Page 2, Weston-super-Mare Gazette, and General Advertiser for Friday 24 November 1848, I would say it is the Kewstoke toll road.

"This road on account of its thoroughly picturesque position and the extensive and beautiful scenery it commands, as well as from the fact that it affords communication with the town at either extremity, will undoubtedly be the most favourite and frequented drive in the locality. It has been designated the South Road, whilst that on the Kewstoke side of the hill is called the Channel Road."

Best regards,