According to UK and Tasmanian Criminal and Court records that I have seen, George HILL was:
- born in Langford c1810-1812
- a labourer
- tried for Burglary (entering the house of Matthew TAVERNOR and stealing 40 Sovereigns) on 2 January 1831 at Wells Sessions
- found guilty and sentenced to death (commuted to transportation for life)
- moved from Shepton gaol to Ilchester on 6 August 1831
- transferred to the Captivity Hulk Devonport on 12 September 1831
- transported to Van Diemens Land arriving on 24 August 1833.
I am interested in George because I am a DNA match to one of his descendants.
I am a direct descendant of John HILL and Mary WHITE who were married in Churchill on 31 March 1806. They had numerous children all of whom were baptised in Churchill from 1806 (my 3x GGF John) and 1821 (Sarah). There was no George as far as I can tell. Nor can I find any George HILL baptised in Churchill from 1800 to 1820.
Any thoughts on when, where and to whom George was born would be appreciated, please.
One possibility is that he was the son of John Porter HILL who was baptised in Wrington on 26 September 1790. I don't think he was the John HILL who married Mary WHITE in 1806. I believe John Porter HILL was living in Bedminster in 1841 and 1851 with wife Mary and children Thomas, Mary, Charlotte and Elizabeth. "My" John HILL stayed in Churchill. I haven't found a marriage for John Porter HILL or baptism records for his children.