Comments

GOULD
published by PeterCardiff - 15 hours 31 minutes 45 seconds ago.
Pat - that is INCREDIBLY helpful! Thank you so much and, yes, it looks likely that I will be re-visiting Taunton fairly soon!

GOULD
published by PeterCardiff - 15 hours 37 minutes 35 seconds ago.
Hello Robin - Many thanks for yet more information! I, too, have doubts about the information in some of those online family trees but it is odd that a researcher has set down what seem to be actual baptism dates (which implies that the appropriate records were seen) but such records do not seem to exist (at least not online).\r\n\r\nI will definitely keep you informed of any progress I might make!

GOULD
published by Pat Hase - 22 hours 53 minutes 5 seconds ago.
There are some more transcriptions on our site - mainly births not baptisms http://www.wsmfhs.org.uk/files/publications/westonsupermare-stjohns-births-1761-1770.pdf which I had compiled myself so do need checking but I found the original at the Somerset Archives some years ago when it had been wrongly filed under Weston Bath. It does include birth dates for John, Joseph and Susannah GOULD. Hope it helps but a visit to Taunton is required to gain positive evidence.

GOULD
published by Robin Iles - 3 days ago.
Sorry should read Nancy (Ann) d of Joseph and Susannah buried 2 Feb 1784, not 1798!

GOULD
published by Robin Iles - 3 days ago.
I found the indexes to Land Tax Assessments in the Weston Library a few years ago. I have not seen the original docunents, which are held at Somerset Heritage Centre Archives in Taunton.\r\n\r\nI wonder where those family trees got their information. I have not found all online trees to be reliable, often making assumptions not backed up by evidence. I do have Joseph Gold married Susanah Light in Worle 10 July 1758, which would presumably rule out Fanny.\r\n\r\nThere is a Joseph Gould baptised 30 May 1732 in Huntspill to William and Jane, with lots of other Goulds in that parish, so perhaps they have assumed this is the Weston Joseph, but I have no evidence of this. \r\n\r\nI too found Hester baptism 1772, she probably married in Worle in 1798. Also I found Nancy Gold baptism WSM 10 Jul 1778 d of Joseph and Sarah. Nancy (Ann) d of Joseph and Susannah was buried 2 Feb 1798. See transcriptions on this website for info.\r\n\r\nA Shusanna Gould is known to have married Hugh Haymans in Wick St Lawrence 28 Mar 1787, but otherwise not known, also see transcription on this website. Hannah would seem to be the daughter of John and Sarah of Kewstoke mentioned in my previous email as she was baptised in 1763. There are a Joseph aged at 70 in the 1841 census Kewstoke and buried 12 Jan 1842 aged 74 WSM and a George died aged 82 in 1852, of Kewstoke. Again no evidence that these two are definitely children of Joseph but could perhaps well be, given their age and location.\r\n\r\nLet me know if you find any accurate sources for the info in the family trees you have been looking at. Best wishes.\r\n

GOULD
published by PeterCardiff - 3 days ago.
Hello again, Robin - apologies for getting back to you later than I had intended. As you say, it would be great to find the baptism records for both William Gould (c1757) and his brother John (17??). I have seen a few public family trees on the Ancestry website which showed the parents of these men to be Joseph Gould (c1732-1796) and Susannah Gould (née Light) plus extra siblings of which a couple have been given full birth/baptism dates. The details are Fanny (1752), \'our\' William (c1757), Susannah (27 August 1762), Hannah (1763), John (21 March 1765), Joseph (1768), George (1771), Hester (1772), Nancy (1778) and Ann (1780). However, the only baptism record I have found for any of those children is for Hester - baptised at WSM on 2 July 1772 with the parents clearly stated to be Joseph and Susannah Gould. I have been unable to trace any other baptisms in WSM or adjacent parishes for children of Joseph and Susannah Gould which is rather odd. \r\n\r\nI forgot to ask earlier - how, please, can I access Brian Austen\'s index of WSM land tax assessment?\r\n\r\nBy the way, I bought the other day on eBay a book called Weston-super-Mare written in 2001 by Philip Beisly who is/was Chairman of the WSM Civic Society. I am not sure if I will read it before passing it to my friend, John Gould.\r\n\r\nPeter

Page 1 of 336 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10