Login About us Contact us Terms & Conditions

Comments

Weston school and London refugees
published by daveerasmus - 2 days ago.

Thank you, Pat.

I have spoken to my mother. She does not recognise the names of the brothers. But she did recall 2 sisters by the name of COUSINS who ran a private school. She said that the name of the school was Winthorpe in "something" Gardens. I managed to find a Marguerite Greta COUSINS living in Wilton Gardens in the 1939 Register. She was described as "Private School Teacher (Principal)" and I see that she is in your list.

Living with her at that time was her younger sister Vera Isobel (or Isabella) and their father Abraham.

Interestingly there are 2 redacted entries as well. There is an outside chance that these relate to the KELLEHER brothers, but of course that is mere speculation.

Weston school and London refugees
published by Pat Hase - 2 days ago.

On our Web Site, under Places and Weston-super-Mare you will find a document of "Private Schools in Weston"
http://www.wsmfhs.org.uk/files/places/064e0286aa829c53529857415ca67792-02.pdf  In the right hand column it lists the Principals of the Schools and there are several with sisters involved.  Unfortunately few of these were in operation in 1939 but if they were elderly and retired by then they might have been connected with earlier schools.
Of course, the boys might have arrived after the 1939 Register was taken.  I know that evacuees who were with my inlaws arrived later.

Ancketyll's of Clapton-in-Gordano and Wraxall
published by Richard Manning - 10 days ago.

Hi Pat,

Yes, Edward Ancketyll the elder was rector of Clapton-in-Gordano from 1642 until 1686 he was a  BA from St Edmund Hall, Oxford 3 May 1636, M.A. 4 July 1639.

His son Edward Ancketyll also went to Oxford and was rector of Clapton-in-Gordano from his fathers death in 1686 until this death in 1696.

They were both rectors of Wraxall as well over the same period, so I'm guessing one post covered both parishes and possibly others.

As you can see from the image I included Mary Ancketyll, Edward the youngers sister married Lewis Donne and became Mary Donne.

I've looked at the Clapton registers and I'm afraid the Ancketylls were poor record keepers, after Edward the younger died the new rector wrote in the register that no marriages had been recorded for a number of years even though he had asked the parishioners and marriages had been performed!

There was a relatively famous clergyman Henry Ancketyll who was rector of Mells and possibly briefly of Clapton before Edward the elder. But although I have found him marrying and having children the dates don't seem quite right as I believe Edward was born in 1615 and Henry was probably not yet married then.

Other members of the Ancketyll family had married into the Gorges family of Wraxall so it seems likely that some form of nepotism got them the posts but I can't find the connection.

Interestingly Samuel Still who married Argentine Ancketyll another sister of Edward the younger also became rector of Wraxall.

Ancketyll's of Clapton-in-Gordano and Wraxall
published by Pat Hase - 11 days ago.

This is a new name for me but I can see ANCKETYLL and variants in our Clapton in Gordano Records.  I was interested to read a description of Mrs Mary DONNE as sister of Mr ANCKETYL my predecessor.

Does that mean he was a relation of the Minister or Parish Clerk or whoever was writing the burial register?
You mentioned curates of Wraxall - what date was this?

May 2024 Newsletter
published by Pat Hase - 23 days ago.

The Workshops are on ZOOM and are recorded for members to catch up when convenient for them.  Can you let me know the name of your relation who was born in Axbridge Workhouse?

May 2024 Newsletter
published by Jane Harding - 23 days ago.

Hi Pat,

Really interested in your workshop on Axbridge workhouse in June. I'm quite a new member so not sure if the Group's workshops are online or in person. I'm in Australia, so if online would love to join in. I'm currently working on the story of my gr-gr-grandma who gave birth to one of her children in Axbridge workhouse.

Jane