Login About us Contact us Terms & Conditions

Comments

Why Hungary?
published by Brian & Pam Airey - 8 months 4 days ago.

Interesting. Thanks

Brian

Brian Austin
published by JANE SEWARD - 8 months 7 days ago.

I was very shocked to hear the news of Brian Austin's passing which I found via Pat's posting on Facebook.  I had attended his very last talk at the Museum on the Thursday and I commented that he was on good form, giving an interesting and amusing talk as usual.  He will, indeed, be sorely missed.

Why Hungary?
published by gricharduk - 8 months 11 days ago.

Do you think Joseph Joplin could have been a Conductor of supplies in the Ordnance Department? (I had to look it up!) There is this report on page 2 of the Times of India for 24 February 1870:

Joseph Joplin conductor

It could explain why he was in Europe. The furlough could also explain why he was able to afford it and why he sold the business. I agree with you: He probably paid for the rest of the family.

[Edit: I don't think it is him as this J. Joplin died on 3 July 1878.]

Why Hungary?
published by Brian & Pam Airey - 8 months 11 days ago.

Thanks for that. I had found the Breach of Promise in the paper and also have seen the Southport paper 1870. I can understand Joseph "going abroad" but why Hungary? It is not on the Grand Tour route surely? The Joplins owned/ran a number of pubs/wine merchants in Liverpool area so must have been quite well off, did Mary Eleanor pay for the Shaws  to go?

Interesting

Why Hungary?
published by gricharduk - 8 months 11 days ago.

I was wondering if he was trying to break his engagement! There are a few sentences on Joseph on page 81 of "Breach of Promise to Marry: A History of How Jilted Brides Settled Scores" (2014) by Denise Bates. He disposes of the wine and spirits business in 1870 because he is "going abroad" (not sure where). See p. 4, Southport Independent and Ormskirk Chronicle, 28 May 1870 edition:

p. 4, Southport Independent and Ormskirk Chronicle 28 May 1870

Brian Austin
published by SMaguire - 8 months 11 days ago.

We were saddened to hear about Brian. He was a true gentleman and a lovely person, knowledgeable, inspirational and always helpful. He will be greatly missed by everyone but never forgotten.

Last night, our 40th Anniversary Dinner took place and we remembered Brian with a toast and a minute's silence.

Sending our sincere sympathy, prayers and love to Annemarie - Sue and Jim