Comments

Hewish and Puxton Harvest Festival Committee 1927
published by zumrob - 1 months 23 days ago.

Thanks to Uphill we now know that my original hypothesis was flawed - however we are making good progress with the names.

I have numbered a copy of the photo to help keep track:

Names so far

3) Gilbert Edward Hurley FROST
4) Gilbert FROST
5) Walter Hudson REDDING
6) Rev Edward James Reece LUTLEY (vicar of Hewish)
7) Rev Walter Charles HAINES (vicar of Puxton)
12) Ernest Harry JONES
14) Harry FrancesJONES ??
16) Sidney J THAYER (1889-1948 ) South Farm, Puxton
17) Herbert THAYER (1887-1957)
19) James BAILEY
20) Percy George EDWARDS
21) Cecil Stanley EDWARDS
22) Bertram Albert OSMOND (1887-1971) (see below)
23) John James EDWARDS
25) Clifford James COOK
29) Arthur Charles FROST (1896- 1968) see post below from Kate Osmond
30) Ernest James FROST (1894-1973)
31) Daniel Gill CLARK

Other names have been moved to post below:

Hewish and Puxton Harvest Festival Committee 1927
published by uphill - 1 months 24 days ago.

Percy George Edwards the Vice Chairman is as you look at photo the man with trilby hat  in his hand.

The tall man next to Percy G.Edwards I believe is Mr.Osmond of Pear Tree Farm,Rolstone.

Clifford Cook  6th along with Cigarette in his mouth & hand on man’s shoulder in row below him.

Mr.W.H.Redding of The Grange Hewish is the man sat next to the Vicar.

The tall man on the end of row to the left of photo could be Daniel Gill Clark of Villa Farm,Hewish.

Richard Clapp b 1780
published by Peter Williams - 1 months 24 days ago.

Thanks very much to those who have replied to my request for information about Richard Clapp (1780 - ?) I appreciate your interest.

The puzzle of his life after 1814 still needs to be resolved but I thought I’d provide an update of my research and theories to date.

Regarding Richard and Fanny Clapp’s children:

Richard Clapp b 1811 - ?? — I have found a passenger list for the ship Cosmo that sailed from Bristol and arrived in New York on 6 November 1840.  Passengers includes a Richard Clapp and his wife Harriet and their children Isaac, Fanny, Jane, Julia and John.  Their ages as recorded are inline with those expected.

Fanny Clapp b 1813 — died in 1813 in Stone Allerton and buried in Chapel Allerton.

William Clapp b 1814 — died in 1814, buried in Chapel Allerton.

Regarding Richard Clapp (1780 - ?.) —

Upon the death of his wife Fanny (nee Tucker) in 1814, he would have been left with two children, Charles (1804 - 1885) my 3rd great grandfather, who would have been 10.  And, Richard (1811 - ?) who would have been 3.

There is a marriage record for a Richard Clapp and a Mary Tucker (possibly Fanny’s sister) for 21 November 1814 at St Mary, Redcliffe, Bristol.  The witnesses were Jenny Tucker, possibly Mary’s elder unmarried sister  (1730 - 1760) and James King possibly Richard’s cousin (1791 - 1850) by his aunt Jane Clapp.

The assumption that Richard married his wife’s sister seems reasonable to me at the moment but I would really be interested if anyone can shine some light on this for me.  Also, as I haven’t found any records so far for Richard and his suggested wife Mary so maybe they also went to America.

Hoping for some clues.

Regards

Peter

COLES family from Publow, Pensford and Stanton Drew
published by Pat Hase - 1 months 24 days ago.

That's really interesting. Thank you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hewish and Puxton Harvest Festival Committee 1927
published by Kate Osmond - 1 months 24 days ago.

Agree with you re: theory under threat. There are two men with walking sticks and two old men sitting on the bench - I think that age / disability dictated the positions in the photo rather than committee status.

It seems that Gilbert E H Frost was a very dapper chap despite being a farmer. I think the photo below is from about 1930 (aged 37ish). I don't know the date of the wedding photo on Ancestry but the fashions look late 50s / early 60s - so he is probably in his late 60s.

Hewish and Puxton Harvest Festival Committee 1927
published by zumrob - 1 months 24 days ago.

Thank you for that - I looked Gilbert E H FROST up on Ancestry and that photo of him at the wedding looks very similar - is the chap in my photo too old though? Think my theory of the committee being the front 9 might be under threat though - there are too many old 'uns to match the names I found so far

Unknown Gilbert Edward Hurley FROST

I was originally drawn to this his fellow - my g/grandad Harry was also a cricketer - and this chap seems to have the look of a sportsman - but he seems differently dressed to the others - did you notice the shoes? Not he shoes of a GWR man - farmer? That's why I originally thought that he might be the school teacher - unless the school teacher is the stern looking man over on the left!

Every time I look at these photos though - they seem to be the same man.

Kate, do you know when that wedding photo on Ancestry was taken?

Page 11 of 440 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16