Comments

Methodists/Wesleyans - Known by their middle name
published by gricharduk - 2 months 25 days ago.

Hi Sylvia,

Ah ha! I think you might be on to something with both the biblical connection (I did not think of that) and the second name differentiating them from another member in the family. I am going to take a look at both ideas - Thank you very much.

Richard

Methodists/Wesleyans - Known by their middle name
published by Sylvia - 2 months 26 days ago.

Hi, Richard. Maybe a stringof,, let,s say, George in family.second name would differentiate from anyone else?

In our family, John was first name used by wife. Richard second, string of them in family. Then "Handfield" (any ideas, anyone?), used by family in Cornwall, after local Rev. Finally, called Jack by workmates. Depending who he was with, and where! First name could be biblical? Sorry not to be more help! Sylvia

The Strand Hotel
published by gricharduk - 2 months 26 days ago.

Hi,

Ref my last email: I have found details of the inquest that took place on 14 October 1865 (page 5, Weston-super-Mare Gazette, and General Advertiser - Saturday 21 October 1865). Let me know if you would like a copy. Summary: Mr. W. Fear, a farmer at Uphill, found him in his "linhay" on the 12th October and took him to the hotel.

Richard

The Strand Hotel
published by JulieAPayne - 2 months 26 days ago.

Hi Richard

Thank you for the information. The engraving looks to be from the area near the Sanatorium

I have found his burial record in Uphill for 1865. That's where the family lived - So the place and timeline seems correct. Just need to discover what actually happened to him.

Julie

The Strand Hotel
published by gricharduk - 2 months 26 days ago.

Hi,

There was a hotel on the Prom called The Strand Hotel:

View from the Strand Hotel

At the time (1850s I think), it was close to Uphill. I can't remember where I read it but I think Uphill wasn't a separate parish until the mid-1860s (I am not certain about this) - parish lands came under Bleadon before that. I am wondering if that might be where this comes from. Does the date (1850s) sound about right for your 3rd great grandfather?

Richard

Methodists/Wesleyans - Known by their middle name
published by gricharduk - 2 months 26 days ago.

Hi Albert,

That's fascinating - thank you very much for replying. I am obviously reading too much into what they called each other! In the case I am looking it, perhaps it was a mid-Victorian fashion to use their middle name rather than anything that was faith-based.

Thanks again and best regards,

Richard