Comments

Backwell St Andrews New Churchyard MIs
published by SMH0832 - 25 days ago.
Delayed thanks but I\'ve only just looked at there records again.\r\n

PRATLETT
published by paulascoins@gmail.com - 27 days ago.
Thank you i will have a look. The name does change I know it as KATES but it is also CATES, KATE, KEATES and probably a few more.\r\nThank you and Graham for letting me join I have found out loads already.

PRATLETT
published by Pat Hase - 30 days ago.
You can find that marriage of Elizabeth PRATLETT at Emmanuel in 1852 in our transcriptions of Weston marriages. The groom has been correctly transcribed as William KEATES - (That is how it is written on the original document) but as William makes a mark he wouldn\'t have realised that there was a difference. A John KATES, who does sign, is a witness.

PRATLETT
published by Pat Hase - 30 days ago.
What date would that marriage have been? I have a PRATLETT who married a HASE.

PRATLETT
published by paulascoins@gmail.com - 30 days ago.
I have a Elizabeth PRATLETT in my family tree. She was married to William KATES.

Mervyn Hugh Ernest THOMAS
published by Pat Hase - 1 months 0 day ago.

Thank you for your message - I am replying online as perhaps it might help other members who are stuck looking for someone.   As your grandfather had such a distinctive name, Garnet THOMAS, and as his occupation as a Minister of Religion was given in the 1939 Register I wondered whether the newspapers might have mentioned him.  I used the British Newspaper Archive which is also available, if you have a subscription, on Find my Past. The first article I found was this one, which surprised me as Aberdeen is a long way from Weston!

There were several other articles including this one which was earlier when I thought he was in Weston.

He sounded a remarkable man and the Pontypridd newspapers also reported that Garnet THOMAS from Weston-super-Mare frequently spoke in Wales and had visited America on several occasions I realised that there was a lot more to this man!  Not being able to find Mervyn's birth in England or Wales I thought I'd try Scotland and Hey Presto - Scotlandspeople came up with the answer.

Should you feel motivated I'm sure that Sue Maguire, the editor of our Journal, Buckets and Spades, would be delighted to have a short resume of this remarkable man's life. Just looking at the newspaper obituary in 1940 tells me that this resident of Weston needs to be more widely known.

Page 3 of 373 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10