Comments

The Research Forum
published by Pat Hase - 22 days ago.

The problem with this family is that they were sometimes entered as OWENS.  According to the 1911 census, there were 11 not 10 children - an Edward was born and died in 1898. Found by using GRO Index. I agree with you Dave about Laura.  Laura Rose HARDING\'s death was registered in Exeter in 2004.  And yes, Dorothy was also in Budleigh Salterton in 1939.  She was in service along with her sister Hilda.  Dorothy married a William COWD in 1956 (from 1939 Register) and died in the Exeter District in 1997. Florence was born in 1899 not 1900 but I\'m not sure yet, like Dave, what happened to her.

\r\n

The Research Forum
published by daveerasmus - 23 days ago.

There is a Laura Rose OWEN living (in service) in Budleigh Salterton according to the 1939 Register. Date of birth `8 October 1901. Looks like she later married someone called HARDING.

\r\n

Dorothy E. Owen born 27 March 1904 was also in BS at that time. She was a House Parlourmaid. Looks like she married someone called COWD.

\r\n

Both records are closed.

\r\n

Florence is quite a common name. Having trouble with her!

\r\n

Dave Erasmus

The Research Forum
published by Eddie Prest - 23 days ago.

Hi. I am researching my wife’s family but have got stuck. My wife’s grandfather was John Owen (1890-1967). He married Ellen Caple from Compton Bishop. John’s father was also John (1860-?) who married Sarah Ann Stevens. John and Sarah lived in Devon, largely in the Uffculme/Culmstock area near Tiverton. They had ten children - John, Hilda M (b1892), Nellie (b1893), Harold Donald (b1896), Florence (b1900), Laura Rose (b1902), Dorothy Emma (b1904), twins Lionel William and Edward Richard (b1907), and Robert (b1908).

\r\n

I just cannot find what happened to Laura, Florence and Dorothy using Ancestry and Family Search. They are probably there somewhere, but large numbers of American records keep popping up, despite the search being restricted to UK.

\r\n

HELP....

GOULD
published by PeterCardiff - 25 days ago.

Hello Pat - On the Gould research, I have discovered that the Library of the Society of Genealogists contains transcriptions of the Weston records I am looking for. I will be visiting the Library some time next month.

Peter

GOULD
published by PeterCardiff - 25 days ago.
Hello Robin - I have seen that transcripts of the Weston (St John) baptism and land tax assessment records are held by the Society of Genealogists of which I\'m a member. I should be travelling to London three times next month and should therefore be able to visit the SoG to look at these transcripts. I will then report back!\r\nPeter

GOULD
published by PeterCardiff - 26 days ago.
Pat - that is INCREDIBLY helpful! Thank you so much and, yes, it looks likely that I will be re-visiting Taunton fairly soon!

Page 3 of 339 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10