Comments

Milton Road Cemetery - Royal engineers burials
published by Jude - 1 months 23 days ago.

Thank you, Pat, for your explanation of the events that led to the deaths of the Royal Engineers. I am sure we are familiar with the "Bridge Too Far" story but how many of us knew of the tragedy that preceded it? When possible I shall visit Milton Road Cemetery to see the CWGS there.

Edmund PETERS
published by Les Martels - 1 months 23 days ago.

Thanks Pat.  I hadn't got that far in chasing up that death date as it is not a direct line.  I was concentrating on the 1891 census, so I could be a bit more specific in the likely death date.

I am just trying to fill in any gaps in my tree on my maternal side of the family  having just found out that my paternal side is not the one I thought it was.

I didn't know  you were an ex Merrywood G. Schoolgirl untilI came across your name on their site.

Milton Road Cemetery - Royal engineers burials
published by Pat Hase - 1 months 24 days ago.

They were the 23 men of the Airborne Division on board a glider which crashed near Paulton in 1944. This is a description of that part of the cemetery from a CWGC booklet

From CWGC Booklet

This was part of the plan for the British to hold the Bridge over the Rhine at Arnhem.  Stirling Bombers towing fully loaded gliders set off from Wiltshire.  When over Paulton, one of the gliders broke up and crashed killing its 2 crew and 21 members of the 9th Airborne Field Company. All the men were taken to Weston where they were buried with full military honours.  There is now a memorial at the crash site to the men.  There is a full description of what happened on the Paulton History Site Paulton History (google.com)

John MAUNDER - a Weston Worthy & Zoom Meeting
published by Jasmine Bates - 1 months 24 days ago.

Thank you so much for the interesting Zoom meeting last night, and please invite me to the next one!  The talk by Peter de Dulin was excellent, and it was good to actually see other members! Pat, you were most helpful to me some years ago, and I’ll always be grateful, re great-grandfather’s grave.

Edmund PETERS
published by Pat Hase - 1 months 24 days ago.

As the Somerset Archives do not hold any burial records for Brent Knoll after 1868 it is likely that the Burial Book is still in use and at the church.  Have you tried contacting the parish for any information?

How did TOM YOUNG 1863 -1946 meet LILIAN WEYMOUTH 1877 -1971
published by daveerasmus - 1 months 27 days ago.

This is an intriguing story, Angela.

Who did you do your DNA test with? Was it Ancestry? How much DNA do you share with Stewart Young? Have you registered on Gedmatch?

I see that in 1901 Tom Young's daughter Marie was living at Tom's sisters' lodging house in Weston. She was a similar age to your Beatrice, of course. I wonder why she was there? And how long she was there for. Someone obviously took/brought her there.

Ernest Weymouth was a gardener in 1911 and a retired jobbing gardener in 1939. Seems unlikely that he was a jeweller.

Dave Erasmus