Comments

Hi thanks for your reply.
published by bweakley - 3 months 4 days ago.
Hi thanks for your reply. Here’s what I know - my dad used to refer to the lady who emigrated as Aunty bunty or bundy, not sure which due to his Somerset accent! Now I’m not sure if that was a real name, shortened name or even a nickname. I am also unsure if it was an Aunty on his dad or mums side. My grandad was Leonard Edward Weakley. My nan was Irene Cole or coles. My grandad was born in kewstoke, lived in Ritz cottage which is where the commodore now stands. He had a brother callled Jack. Leonard was married before he married my nan. I know no other details about my nan though. I know there were two Weakley families in kewstoke and there’s a lot or information on the other Weakley family but not mine. I have tried for years on and off to research this. I was just hoping someone on here might have already come across this as I know our surname is one of the eldest in the parish history and you guys seem amazing at digging things up! Thanks again

WEAKLEY Family - Kewstoke
published by Pat Hase - 3 months 4 days ago.

This is a difficult one!  You say you do not know who did the original research or the name of the person who emigrated to New Zealand.  You might be able to find that by doing some research yourself.

Your Heading suggests that the name WEAKLEY came from Kewstoke.  The name WEAKLEY does appear in our transcriptions of the parish records of Kewstoke.  Did your grandparents come from Kewstoke?  When were they born? Do you know the names of their siblings?

Sorry there's so many questions but we would like to help you if we can.  However, we do need a little more information.

Marriage
published by Joe - 3 months 6 days ago.
Marriages Sep 1928 HOOPER Gladys M BRYANT Long Ashton 5c 1365 The district Long Ashton is in the county of Somerset; Marriages Sep 1910 (>99%) Bryant George Long Ashton 5c 1251 Marriages Sep 1910 (>99%) Mincher Hilda M Long Ashton 5c 1251 A possibility but can find no children for this marriage.

The Great storm
published by pbryant - 3 months 6 days ago.
Glad to see the society is holding a meeting on the Great Storm of 1903. My grandfather Edgar Bryant was drowned in the storm with his body washed up at Tenby. Now in Milton Cemetery.

Two Betsy Keedwells (nee Shepstone)?
published by jt.upton@hotmail.co.uk - 3 months 6 days ago.

James Keedwell (1817-1878) appears to have married two Betsy Shepstones.

The first was a dau. of John Shepstone (and probably Mary Seymour)

"By licence obtained 3 day's earlier. (Somerset Archives Ref:D/P bar.g 2/1/5 4 8) 21-Sep 1841 James KEEDWELL bachelor Yeoman of Barrow son of John Keedwell Yeoman Betsy SHEPSTON fullage spinster Servant of Barrow d of John Shepston Labourer Wits: John Keedwell Hester Hassel."

The second (widow of John Beacham) appears to be a dau of another John Shepstone and Sophia Stowell (John and Sophia emigrated to New England, with other children, before 1840).

I'd be interested in any comments or further info.

I might have got something wrong, but my guess is that Betsy Beacham (nee Shepstone) was a cousin of James Keedwell's first wife Betsy.

John Thompson

Shepston/Keedwell
published by Holderportbury59 - 3 months 7 days ago.

Hi,

Betsy Shepston (Betsy Beacham) was my GG grandmother having married James Keedwell at Barrow Gurney church  North Somerset  21st September 1841.  Prior to that she can be found in the 1841 Census aged 20 years living in Flax Bourton she is entered as a servant with James Keedwell aged 70 years as head and James Keedwell aged 20 years.

There are cases in Chancery in connection with the Will of James Keedwell (70) who  the uncle and the legal guardian of James Keedwell  (20) who is my GG grandfather.

The Will makes reference to BestyBeacham Otherwise Shepston being the wife  or of the alleged wife of a John Beachman.

The marriage of Betsy Shepstone to John Beacham took place prior to civil Reg in 1837 and was registered in St Paul's Church Clifton 17.4.1837.

It would appear by 29.4.1848 Betsy Shepston was a widow and she married James Keedwell at St Pauls Clifton.  Rachel Beacham was born  at Albert Place Bedminster in January 1848. In the 1851 census she is referred to as wife's daughter but by 1861 as daughter to the head James Keedwell.

This is from my own research, I would welcome any further comment.

Regards,