Comments

Hamilton Villa, South Road
published by Richard Burnham - 2 months 13 days ago.

This is from Kelly's directory of Somerset from 1897.

You can view and download a number of directories from around this time in searchable pdf format from a special collection at the University of Leicester:

I hope this may be helpful.

Hamilton Villa, South Road
published by Bill Caple - 2 months 14 days ago.

In 1915 No 5 was Hamilton House and was occupied by a Miss Maddicks, No 7 was Buckingham Villa. I believe the properties above Prince Consorts Gardens were in Kewstoke Road not South Road

Elizabeth (Betty) PARKER nee SALVIDGE, 1781-1868 and her mother Sarah TUTTON (d1784)
published by LeedsChris - 2 months 16 days ago.

Pat, Thanks very much.  That's excellent!  As a new member I'm still getting to grips with all the useful resources on the web-site!

published by Pat Hase - 2 months 17 days ago.

Betty PARKER was buried in Milton Road Cemetery in Weston - see our transcriptions on this site.  As a full member of the society you have access to these records.

published by LeedsChris - 2 months 17 days ago.

Hello Pat,

Still digesting the information you sent.  On a couple of things you raised I can definitely confirm that Elizabeth ('Betty') PARKER (nee SALVIDGE) died on 20th July 1868 at Weston-super-Mare. This is from the death certificate I have that is certainly for her.  I haven't been able to find any date or location of burial?

On the question of private baptism and then the public presentation and formal recording of a baptism in church at a later date, I actually found from another search for a potential ancestor that the gap in time can be significant.  In the Pawlett, Somerset, Parish Register for 11th September 1774 it says "James, the son of Mr John Parker and Elizabeth his wife was baptised the 5th January 1769 and received into the church the 11th September 1774".  So a gap of five years between private baptism and the public event!

Chris Martin

published by LeedsChris - 2 months 17 days ago.

Hello, Pat.  Thank you so much for your reply, that's very kind.  Yes, I am trying to be as thorough as I can.  The information about the Will is great, so I'll follow it up.  I have been trying to sort out all the connections of the Salvidges and now the Tuttons, because there are a lot of them and with a lot of the same first names(!).  There did seem to be quite a lot of movement in the Salvidge family along the Mendips, between all the different villages especially the north side.  At one time I thought that if I searched and listed all the baptisms and then listed all the marriages and burials I could work out the tree, but soon found that many marriages appeared of those for whom I couldn't find a baptism and many baptisms of children from those for whom I couldn't find a marriage..!!!!  I'll post a further note when I've had time to study - I'm off down another line today

Thanks again, Chris Martin